Friday will feature a highly-anticipated marquee match up, as Ossining hosts Christ the King at 4:30 p.m. For the Pride, it will be their first game back on the court since winning the Slam Dunk tournament in a thrilling final over Irvington during the holiday break.
Our esteemed colleague and Journal News sports columnist Rick Carpiniello will be covering the game tomorrow and will be tweeting updates from Ossining. Those of you looking to track the action can follow Rick at @LoHudCarp (this link should take you directly to his page).
* CHONG TRACKER * Ossining senior Saniya Chong (pictured right) is once again expected to make headlines as she looks to move into third place on the all-time Section 1 girls scoring list. Chong, who has 2,372 career points entering tomorrow’s game, will need to score 13 to surpass Hamilton alum Cusena Newton (Class of 1987) for sole possession of third place.
After recently moving past Pawling grad Margo Hackett (Class of 2011) at the Slam Dunk tournament, Chong is now on the outskirts of territory that has not been touched since before both Phil and I were even born. All three of the ladies ahead of Chong graduated in the mid-1980’s, and are all expected to to be looking up at Chong by season’s end.
Here’s a list of the top five all-time female scorers in Section 1:
1. Karen O’Connor (1983-87), FDR/Hyde Park — 2,662
2. Sheila Wagner (1981-86), Peekskill — 2,476
3. Cusena Newton (1982-87), Hamilton — 2,384
4. Saniya Chong (2009-13), Ossining — 2,372
5. Margo Hackett (2007-11), Pawling — 2,266
As for the other games around town, take a look at the list of tomorrow’s slated events (yes, with predictions!) For those of you that have been keeping track, since we started picking a few weeks ago, Phil and I have posted a 65-22 (.747) season record. Hopefully we can get to an even 80 percent by season’s end.
(Photo of Chong by Seth Harrison/The Journal News)
Friday, January 4
Albertus Magnus at Tappan Zee, 4 p.m.
Nanuet at Pearl River, 4 p.m.
Spellman at Maria Regina, 4:15 p.m.
Panas at Hen Hud, 4:15 p.m.
Westlake at Briarcliff, 4:30 p.m.
Christ the King at Ossining, 4:30 p.m.
East Ramapo at Roosevelt, 4:45 p.m.
Putnam Valley at North Salem, 5 p.m.
Port Chester at Blind Brook, 6 p.m.
Kennedy at Somers, 6 p.m.
Brewster at Mahopac, 6 p.m.
John Jay at Carmel, 6 p.m.
Haldane at Pawling, 6:15 p.m.
Clarkstown South at North Rockland, 7 p.m.
Rye at Harrison, 7 p.m.