As many of you may have seen from conversations on Twitter, Hamilton standout senior Maia Hood has a slight tear in her ACL and will miss the remainder of the season.
In a nutshell – Hood is a dynamic player because she has the size and aggressiveness of a forward (5’10’’) with the ball handling skills of a talented guard. From what I have been told, she has been leaning towards attending Lafayette.
Hamilton, at 14-4, is the reigning Class C Champion that fell to Coleman Catholic in regional play last season.
You can read my full story about Hood’s injury by clicking here.
I just spoke with Hood, teammates Tiffany Corselli and Jasmine Robinson and coach Benjamin Carter. Here’s what they shared with me:
- Benjamin Carter: “Our system is a universal system. Our shots can come from anywhere. We can only stop ourselves. It’s a matter of the girls that get 8, 9 shots a game to capitalize (on) that.”
- Tiffany Corselli (who has been battling an ankle injury of her own): “I’m much better, I should be returning in less than a week. Now hearing this news (about Maia), I’m more hungry to get back out there with my team.”
- Jasmine Robinson: “Maia was really the lead rebounder, she was 3 rebounds from 1,000. I guess most of us are gonna have to rebound and I guess Kali (Gill) is going to handle the post.”
- Maia Hood: “When I first heard the news, I was shocked. When I first went down, I got back up and I was walking around and running. I told coach I wanted to go back in the game. The next day it was swollen and we got an MRI and X-ray.”
In other news, referee Neil Berniker suffered an apprarent heart attack during yesterday’s Edgemont at Eastchester game.
According to Edgemont coach Michael Tracy, Berniker is in stable condition at Bronxville’s Lawrence Hospital. For more details, click here.
- Edgemont senior Jill Speranza: “I heard (Berniker fall) and I saw him on the ground and it was traumatic. (My teammates) were in complete shock. That was the worst part. Nobody was thinking that would happen at all.”
- “After the game, coach (Michael Tracy) texted us to make sure we were all OK. We have a game Sunday and we’re going to meet earlier to talk about it.”